Re: dialling out problems

Jim Holland (ifmail-list@mango.zw)
Mon, 10 May 1999 18:09:14 +0200 (SAT)

On 10 May 1999, Sean Rima wrote:

> For some reason Whilst I can get ifcico to dial a node, it seems to wait
> halfway through the handshaking and handup. I have 90 set as the wait
> for connect.
>
> I did manage to get it to connect but I did notice that it will not
> handshake with my RC who uses TIMS.

MANGO had a similar problem trying to connect to another FidoNet node here in
Harare that also runs ifmail. It would connect then do nothing for about 4
minutes. The logs would indicate a message something like "Hey you, are you
going to log in or what?", and then it would handshake and send the outgoing
mail at normal speed. However when it came time to receive mail the modem
(USR Sportster 33600) would again hang and neither transfer mail nor
disconnect. To receive mail they had to poll us.

Neither of our two systems has any problem with ifcico connecting with our
users, who use a variety of DOS, Windows and Macintosh FidoNet software,
but we subsequently moved to doing all our internode transfers by UUCP.

Regards

Jim Holland
MANGO System Administrator
Harare