Re: ifmail unpack problem

Vincent Antezzo (vant@antezzo.com)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Randy Edwards wrote:

> > Add your fnet user to the news group. This way you'll be able to run
> > rnews as fnet and the Permission denied error should disappear.
>
> That's exactly what I thought. So my fnet user is set up in /etc/passwd
> as:
> fnet:x:100:9:FidoNet:/usr/lib/ifmail:/bin/sh
>
> and my /etc/group has an entry of:
> uucp:x:10:fnet,uucp,root,news
>
> But the problem continues; my packets get renamed from *.pkt to *.bad
> whenever, as root, I do a su fnet -c "/usr/lib/ifmail/ifunpack".

I think you need to also keep news in the news group:

Also, if innd isn't running, the packets will be placed, by rnews, into
/var/spool/news/in.coming. I've found that running rnews as user fnet from
the command line works OK, but the news packets would *not* toss when
rnews was called from a script, etc. My temporary fix was to give world
write access to the /var/spool/news/in.coming directory which solved the
problem. A friend with the same problem told me he just runs all
ifmail/ifcico programs and scripts as root.

- Vinny